About Joseph O. Thickens
Joe is a founding member and partner at Cavanaugh & Thickens, LLC. Previously, Joe practiced at a defense firm with a focus on personal injury cases involving automobile accidents, slip/trip, and falls, and defective products. He also handled numerous cases involving insurance coverage and bad faith and is applying his experience in that area to assist individuals whose claims have been denied or who have received lowball settlement offers from their insurance companies. Joe also represented large trucking companies, medical providers, and construction companies during his time as a defense attorney and has tried multiple cases in South Carolina courts.
Joe is originally from Rock Hill, South Carolina. He received his undergraduate degree from the University of South Carolina in 2010 and his law degree from USC in 2013. During law school, he worked in both private and public legal settings, including a private defense firm and the South Carolina Court of Appeals.
Joe and his wife Hannah live in Columbia, South Carolina, where they are active members of Shandon Baptist Church. Joe enjoys following college sports, as well as golfing, hiking, cycling, and kayaking in his spare time.
- South Carolina – 2013
- United States District Court,
- District of South Carolina – 2013
- University of South Carolina, B.A.
- Political Science – 2010
- University of South Carolina, J.D. – 2013
Professional Associations & Memberships
- South Carolina Bar
- Richland County Bar
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- American Association for Justice
- Super Lawyer/Rising Star – 2021
- Legal Elite of the Midlands – 2021
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch
- Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiffs – 2023