Charleston Bicycle Accident Lawyers
Bike riding can be a lot of fun, especially in Charleston and the surrounding areas. Sadly, Charleston roadways can be a dangerous place for cyclists, largely due to distracted drivers. While SC has some of the most progressive laws focused on bicycle safety, our state is actually among the top 10 states with the highest number of bike fatalities in the nation.
At Cavanaugh & Thickens, we fight to get injured and deceased bicyclists the justice and fair result they and their loved ones deserve following a traumatic accident. If you or a loved one has been affected by a serious bike accident in Charleston, you are likely entitled to compensation. Our bicycle accident lawyers are here to guide you through the legal process and fight to get you what you’re owed under South Carolina law.
To schedule your complimentary case review with our team, please call our office at (843) 888-9000 or complete our online form and a member of our team will be in touch shortly.
Compensation For Those Who Lost a Loved One
If you lost a loved one in a bicycle accident, we are deeply sorry. While we wish we could go back and prevent this accident from happening in the first place, our team will do everything in our power to get you justice and the full amount you deserve for everything you’ve been through. Let us guide you through the legal system so you and your family can focus on grieving and healing.
Under Charleston and SC state law, families who lost a loved one at the negligent hands of someone else can file a wrongful death claim. With this claim, we will work with you to recover compensation for things such as any medical treatment facilitated before the death, funeral costs, burial costs, lost wages, loss of companionship, emotional support, pain and suffering, and more.
We are here for you. Give our team a call at (843) 888-9000 and begin the road to justice and recovery.
Compensation For Those Injured in a Charleston Bike Accident
If you or a loved one sustained injuries following a bike accident, there are many forms of compensation you may be eligible to receive, including:
- Medical Bills – This includes compensation for all past, present, and future medical expenses related to the accident such as ambulance costs, emergency visits, tests and screenings, follow up visits, physical therapy, and more.
- Lost Wages – If your injuries have prevented you from returning to work, you may qualify for compensation for missed hours.
- Reduced Earning Capacity – You may be eligible for additional compensation if your injuries prevent you from returning to work in the same capacity in the future.
- Property Damage – This can include compensation for the damages sustained to your bicycle and personal belongings.
- Pain and Suffering – You may also be entitled to compensation for your pain and suffering.
Cavanaugh & Thickens Has a Track Record of Success
Let us handle the South Carolina bicycle accident claims process for you so you can focus on recovering. Our team has a strong reputation for fighting to get our clients the entirety of what they’re owed, inside and outside of the courtroom. See more results here.
Charleston, SC Bicycle Accident Claim Process
1. First, you will meet with one of our award-winning attorneys during your complimentary case evaluation – we offer these over the phone or in-person for your convenience. During this initial meeting, we will listen to what happened and explain your options under South Carolina law. To schedule your free consultation, please call our office at (843) 888-9000.
2. Next, we will help you file a claim and our team will get started immediately on the next steps of your case. When you hire us, you can expect transparency, honesty, and a team that will fight aggressively for you starting on day 1.
3. The next stage is known as “Discovery.” During this time, our team will use all available resources to optimize your case. We will:
- Gather critical facts, evidence, and documents to optimize your claim including medical records, police reports, witness statements, and much more.
- Take depositions: “A deposition is a witness’ sworn, out-of-court testimony.” It is used for both sides to gather information about the accident.
- If needed, our firm will hire an expert witness for your case. Expert testimony can have many benefits, including added credibility, translating complicated medical terminology into simple and easy to understand information, and more.
4. Negotiations: Throughout these stages, we will be in touch with the at-fault party’s insurance company trying to get you a fair settlement offer for what you’ve been through. We won’t settle for anything less than you deserve. Our team has a track record of obtaining much higher settlements for our clients than what the insurance company originally offers.
5. Trial: If we cannot come to a fair arrangement, then our experienced trial attorneys will go to court for you. While most cases settle out-of-court, it’s important to hire a personal injury attorney that isn’t afraid of fighting for you in the courtroom. This helps ensure your lawyer won’t encourage you to settle for less than the value of your case.
Charleston Bicycle Accident Lawyers Proving Fault
A critical part of every Charleston bicycle accident claim, and all personal injury claims, is proving negligence. Charleston and the state of South Carolina is an “at-fault” state, meaning you must be found less than 51% at-fault for the accident in order to receive compensation. Our award-winning lawyers will use their knowledge and resources to conduct a thorough investigation of your accident to help prove the other party acted negligently, thus they are liable for the accident, your injuries, and damages.
Some common forms of driver negligence causing bicycle accidents in Charleston include:
- Failure to yield
- Failure to look when opening a door
- Failure to use turn or merging signals
- Blocking a bike lane
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- And more.
Even if the other party was clearly at fault for your accident, the insurance company may try to limit your claim, deny your claim, blame you for the accident, or trick you into admitting fault for the accident. We won’t let that happen.
How Will Your Attorneys Help My Case?
When you hire our bicycle accident lawyers, there are a lot of things we will do to optimize your claim and ensure your case is on track. Once you have our team on your side, you will no longer need to worry about dealing with the insurance company, as they will communicate directly with our experienced legal team. This takes away the risk of the insurance company trying to take advantage of you or trick you into accepting a lowball settlement offer.
In addition, you can expect our team to:
- Keep you updated on the status of your case and what to expect next so you never feel left alone or in the dark.
- Work with professional teams to survey and document the accident scene.
- Interview key witnesses.
- Understand and prove your injuries, pain and suffering, care costs, and more.
- Prove negligence, thus holding the at-fault party responsible for your damages.
- Keep track of all medical expenses related to the accident, we even have a dedicated medical records coordinator to assist with this.
- Make sure your case remains in the statute of limitations and no deadlines are missed.
- Use our over 60 years of combined experience to give you a fair estimate of what your case is worth.
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and parties involved to attempt to reach a fair settlement agreement.
- Fight for you in court if a fair settlement can’t be reached.
How Much Does a Bike Injury Lawyer Cost?
Our reputable Charleston bicycle accident attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, meaning there are no upfront fees to hire our law office to represent your case. Instead, our fee is based on a percentage of the total compensation recovered. If for some reason there is no recovery made on your behalf, then you owe our law firm nothing.
We believe everyone deserves an experienced lawyer on their side to fight for them during the difficult time that follows an unexpected injury. That is one of the many reasons we offer free consultations. To learn more about how our lawyers can help you, please contact our office at (843) 888-9000.
Common Injuries From Charleston Bicycle Accidents
Some bicycle accidents include falling, hitting something on the road, poor roadways, striking an object, or swerving; however, the most common cause of bike accidents are bikers being hit by cars. There is a massive difference in both size and safety protection between cars and bicyclists. This can cause bicyclists to suffer serious injuries. Some common injuries resulting from accidents involving bicyclists include:
- Head Injuries – These can range from cuts on the cheeks to traumatic brain injuries. In South Carolina, there is no law requiring bicyclists to wear a helmet, which can result in very serious injuries, and even death.
- Bone Fractures – These can include partial and complete breaks in a bone.
- Concussions – Concussions are known as mild traumatic brain injuries and can cause loss of consciousness, memory loss, headaches, and more.
- Back Injuries – Bicycle accidents can result in sprains, strains, herniated discs, and spinal fractures can
- Road Rash – Bicyclists may suffer road rash following an accident, which can cause serious infections and scarring if not treated properly.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – Spinal cord injuries can result in numbness, paralysis, loss of movement, and more.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI) – Whether the rider was wearing a helmet or not, bicycle accidents can result in serious brain injuries.
- Facial Trauma – These injuries may include soft tissue injuries such as burns and bruises or fractures such as nasal or jaw fractures. These can also include eye injuries.
How Much Is My Case Worth?
In order to get a fair estimate on what your case may be worth, it’s important to speak with an experienced lawyer so we can get more information about the specifics of your case. To schedule your free consultation, simply call our office at (843) 888-9000.
There are a lot of factors that aid in determining what your Charleston bike accident case may be worth, such as:
- The severity of your injuries
- How much your past, current, and future medical cares cost
- And more.
Our team will work diligently to optimize your case and identify all of the damages resulting from the accident to build the best case possible on your behalf.
Get a Free Bicycle Accident Case Review With Cavanaugh & Thickens
To learn more about what your case may be worth or how an experienced lawyer can help you, contact our team at Cavanaugh & Thickens by calling (843) 888-9000. We offer complimentary case reviews and will help you understand your options under South Carolina law.
Client Focused. Results Driven.