Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim?
How Much Does a Personal Injury Lawyer Cost?
What Should I Do If I Was Hurt from a Fall?
Falls frequently occur because of hazards and defects associated with steps or uneven surfaces. Homeowners and businesses may be liable if they fail to maintain their stairs, floors, and walkways in good condition or fail to fix or warn about a defect or hazard that they knew about or should have known about.
You should also be sure to do the following in order to protect your legal rights:
- Take photographs of the scene.
- Identify and take photos of what caused your fall.
- Write down the names of all witnesses to your accident.
Contact a South Carolina slip & fall lawyer to understand and protect your legal rights. Schedule a free consultation with Cavanaugh & Thickens today!
What Should I Do When I’ve Been Hurt in a Car Accident?
- Notify the police and make an official report naming the parties, the witnesses, and the insurance
carriers for each party involved.
- Take photographs of the scene, vehicles, and damages.
- Seek immediate treatment, and be sure to communicate all your symptoms to your doctor and that your
symptoms were caused by the wreck.
- Follow all of your doctor’s orders. If you have continued symptoms or you need a second opinion, do not
wait—seek prompt follow-up care.
- Make sure to keep all bills and records provided to you by your doctor, clinic, or hospital.
- Promptly notify your auto insurance company of your car wreck
- Do not give a written or recorded statement to the insurance company before speaking with an attorney.
Contact an attorney to help you understand your legal rights. Legal rights, including filing a lawsuit, are subject to time limits. You may need to act immediately to protect your rights. Schedule a free consultation with Cavanaugh & Thickens’ personal injury lawyers located in downtown Columbia, SC.
Will My Personal Injury Case Go to Trial?
Every case is different. Our experienced accident lawyers will do what is best for your situation to protect your interests and get you the compensation you deserve. Coming to an attorney shortly after your accident enables us to preserve important evidence and develop your case, which will increase the chances of reaching an appropriate settlement without the need for a trial.
On average, 4% to 5% of personal injury cases in the US end up in trial. The remaining 95% to 96% are settled before trial.
Will the Insurance Company Help Me Cover Medical Costs After an Auto Accident?
Be aware that your interests are different from the interests of the insurance companies. Insurance companies want to settle claims quickly and for as little as possible. They have experienced adjusters protecting their interests. Until you consult an attorney:
- Do not sign a release of your claims.
- Do not make any written or recorded statements or sign anything that could be against your interest.
- Do not discuss settlement until you are fully recovered from your injuries and have been discharged by
A South Carolina auto accident lawyer can help you understand & protect your rights. Schedule a free consultation with Cavanaugh & Thickens today.