According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and falls account for over 1 million hospital emergency room visits per year. If you recently slipped and fell in a store in South Carolina, it’s important to know what to do to ensure that your rights are protected and you get the compensation you’re entitled to, especially if the fall resulted in injury.

1. Seek Medical Attention.

Seeking medical attention is always the first step you should take following an accident. Commonly, slip and falls result in bone fractures, soft tissue injuries such as sprains and strains, vertebrae fractures, cuts, and bruises. Make sure you get medical attention for any of these injuries, as your health and safety are most important. Remember, with some injuries, it might take time for symptoms to begin, so it’s important to meet with a doctor following an accident.

2. Make an Incident Report.

After a slip-and-fall in SC, make sure an incident report is made documenting the details of your fall. If possible, speak with the store manager to make sure the report is completed correctly. The report should accurately note the cause(s) of the fall. Incident reports are extremely helpful when working with the store’s insurance company during your personal injury case.

Common causes of slip and falls include:

  • Recently cleaned floors
  • Spills
  • Slick floors
  • Loose rugs or mats
  • Poor lighting
  • Lack of handrails
  • Weather conditions
  • Loose flooring, and more.

3. Gather Evidence.

Gathering evidence can be extremely beneficial should you decide to file a lawsuit after a slip and fall in SC. Immediately following the accident, it’s helpful to take pictures and videos, collect witness names, write down as many details as you can, and save copies of all records. This evidence can help your attorney determine liability when evaluating your case.

In South Carolina, you generally have three years to file a lawsuit against most private entities for any death, injury, or personal property damage. Thus, writing down the details of the fall can help you recall the details later, should you decide to wait to seek legal counsel. However, we recommend calling an experienced personal injury attorney immediately following the accident.

4. Contact a Personal Injury Attorney.

The personal injury attorneys at Cavanaugh & Thickens handle slip-and-fall cases daily and can help you recover physically, financially, and emotionally after an accident in South Carolina. With 60+ years of combined experience, the award-winning legal team at Cavanaugh & Thickens is available 24/7 to help you.

Please note that our personal injury attorneys do not charge hourly rates; instead, they work on a contingency fee which is typically a percentage of the benefits recovered on your behalf. Our initial consultations are free of charge and in no way bind you to our services.

If you have any questions about slip and fall accidents in SC, how to handle them, or need to hire an attorney, simply call (803) 888-2200 for a free consultation.

Disclaimer: The opinions and ideas in this article are for informational purposes only and are not intended as legal advice. Each case is different and must be evaluated based on its own particular facts and merits.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out. Make sure to follow us on Facebook and Instagram to stay up-to-date on important news.

Did you learn something from this post? Check out our other posts: “Tips for Dealing with an Insurance Company During a Personal Injury Case” and How to Find the Best Personal Injury Lawyer For Your Case.

Author: Joseph O. Thickens

Joe is a founding member, partner, and personal injury attorney at Cavanaugh & Thickens, LLC. He has previous experience working at a defense firm where he focused on personal injury cases including auto accidents, slip and falls, defective products, truck accidents, and more. In addition, Joe has handled numerous cases involving insurance coverage and bad faith. He uses this experience to assist individuals whose claims have been denied or who have received lowball settlement offers from their insurance companies.