There is usually a lot going on after a car accident. From medical appointments and unexpected property damage to a lot of paperwork, including the FR-10 Form, you likely have a lot of questions and may not know where to start. Luckily, the experienced car accident lawyers at Cavanaugh & Thickens, LLC are here to make the recovery process as simple as possible for you. If you’ve been hurt in a car accident that was not your fault, reach out to our team today for a free case evaluation by calling (803) 888-2200.

What is an FR-10 Form?

Example of a South Carolina FR10 Form

The South Carolina FR-10 form is a one-page accident report provided to all involved parties at the scene of the accident by the responding police officer. This form verifies that each driver has the required auto insurance on their vehicle. On your form, you will see:

  • Driver(s) Contact Information
  • Vehicle Information
  • Driver’s License Number
  • Insurance Information
    • Including Company, Agency Name, Policy Number, Policy Holder
  • Collision Contribution 

What Do I Do With The FR10 Form in South Carolina?

The police officer will likely complete a few sections of the FR10 at the scene of the accident; however, other sections must be completed by your insurance company. 

After your accident, you have 15 days to complete and submit the form to the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles (SCDMV) – either online or via mail.

Failure to do so can lead to penalties such as license and registration suspensions.

What Do I Do If My Damages Exceed The At-Fault Party’s Coverage?

Car accidents can leave you with significant damages, such as expensive medical bills, long rehabilitation plans, property damage, time missed from work, and much more. 

If your damages exceed the at-fault driver’s insurance coverage, an experienced car accident attorney can help you determine additional coverage available. This may include excess liability coverage, umbrella policies, underinsured coverage, MedPay, and more.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, contact our team today. We’re here to answer any questions you may have and guide you through the process ensuring you get what you’re owed.

What If The At-Fault Party Does Not Have Insurance?

If you were hit by an uninsured driver in South Carolina, you may be able to seek compensation from your own insurance policies. For example, through uninsured coverage, MedPay, or PIP. Our personal injury attorneys have decades of experience handling car accident cases and have the resources needed to identify all forms of insurance coverage available to you.

How long Do I Have To File a Car Insurance Claim in SC?

In South Carolina, you generally have 3 years from the date of the accident to file a car insurance claim seeking compensation for your injuries and damages. However, this deadline can be shortened if certain entities are involved, such as government entities. 

It’s important to keep in mind that it is typically in your best interest to file a claim sooner than later, as your attorney will be able to preserve critical documents and evidence, witness testimony is more fresh, and the legal process can take anywhere from a few weeks to a couple years.

Contact Our Reputable Car Accident Lawyers For a Free Case Evaluation

With decades of combined experience and hundreds of 5-star reviews, we help people who have been hurt in car wrecks get justice and fair compensation every single day. Whether you were recently involved in a car accident or are struggling to get a fair offer from an insurance company, we’re here to help you understand your rights and options.

Why Choose Cavanaugh & Thickens, LLC? With a client-focused approach, we fight for you and we won’t settle for less than you deserve. Our team also has a history of obtaining strong results for our clients across the personal injury practice, so you can rest assured that your case is in good hands. Plus, we are a law firm dedicated to making a positive impact in our community.

For an entirely free case evaluation directly with an award-winning car accident lawyer, call our office at (803) 888-2200 in Columbia, SC, or (843) 888-9000 in Charleston, SC.